Friday, July 9, 2010

Summer has hit Portland.

Having a CSA is seriously saving our monetary lives right now.

I'm being challenged to use up the vegetables we're getting in order to prepare for the next week's share. Sometimes, I fail (fennel, I'm looking at you). Sometimes I win (hello, newfound love for collard and kale chips). Each week is an adventure in frugality and utilizing what we have. The last big push to stock up on dry staples such as rice, beans, pasta and such has allowed us to live the past couple weeks without buying much at all. But the reserves are running low.

This week's share

At the moment, we have in our fridge, just from our CSA:

1.5 bags of fava beans
1 bag of kale
1 bag of collards
1 head of lettuce
1 onion (it still had the dirt on it from being plucked from the ground!!)
1 bunch of carrots
1 fennel bulb
1 bunch of gorgeous carrots
some heads of broccoli and cauliflower

I'm finding that you can make pesto out of pretty much anything. A favorite of the household is Isa's edamame pesto, so I cooked up some of the fava beans from last week's share and threw them in the blender with basil, macadamia nuts (it's what I had!) nutritional yeast, water, olive oil, salt and pepper. While not as tasty as the edamame pesto, it surely made a delicious base for the "let's use up all these vegetables" pizza. It had broccoli, zucchini, mushrooms, onion and soy curls draping its beautiful self.


The pizza crust I use is from Emeril and it's so easy and delicious.  Seriously. It deserves its own fan club, even if Emeril is not somebody I'd like to meet.

Some other ways I've been using up this bounty of green? 


I know this sounds like a total hippie statement, but try kale chips. Seriously. And sprinkle them with nooch. You won't regret it.



Lots of pasta, of course.

Have a lovely week! It's getting hot here in Portland, so I'm trying to keep my cool. Hardy har har.

No comments: