Monday, February 23, 2009

Every day feels like Sunday, baby.

I wish.

For the most part, my Sundays are lazy and uneventful. I get to sleep in and not feel bad about it, lounge around and watch the junk-o-vision and have a beer at noon if I want (which I normally do.)

Last Sunday was no exception. Well, we cleaned. And put up a new shelf that was sorely needed in my tiny kitchen. Can I even call it a kitchen? It's more like a storage closet that happens to have a stove, fridge and sink in it. Anyways, it looks warmer. I think I raised the value of our place by 200%.

When I was thinking about dinner for Sunday, I decided to visit a dish that was my real first dinner - a pasta I fell in love with at the Doug Fir a long time ago. You can also find it at any McMenamins. Sometimes it's called the high pasta, sometimes the Hawthorne pasta. Whatever you call it, it's quick and easy. I'm pretty sure I made it for Jeff in our first weeks of dating and he loved it. Well, actually the first thing I made for him that he loved was pesto and for whatever reason, that was a 2 day, 2 person affair. One to run the blender, the other (me) to buy the ingredients and oversee the blender running. I was so young.

I really don't think that one needs a recipe - it's pasta (I use thin spaghetti, but you can go crazy and use macaroni), steamed spinach, halved grape tomatoes and pine nuts sauteed in olive oil and garlic. I went a little off the beaten path and threw in some shallot. We had some italian marinated tofu and red wine with, and it was probably the nicest dinner we've had in awhile. We were able to sit down and relax and enjoy it rather than rush off and do other things. I don't even think we had the tv on. Win.

1 comment:

elle said...

Simple grub is best. Especially when it lets you spend more time enjoying the company you're eating with. And that looks utterly delicious.