Saturday, June 13, 2009

Gettin' Schooled

I have been unemployed for a little over 2 weeks now.

Some have been telling me "ah geez, that sucks!" but really, it doesn't. Eventually, unemployment will kick in (as soon as they get their crap together and just pay me already) and this is the first time in ten years I haven't worked a full time gig. I have a once-a-week paper route but it's like, 2 hours and super easy.

I've decided to take this opportunity to do something with myself and to go to school for what I love.: editing. Something about marking up mistakes in documents makes a ripple of excitement run through my spine. At this point, I don't care if it's a book publisher, a magazine, a newspaper or some small-town flyers, I just want to make them look right. This is the first time I've ever really had the chance to go to school for more than a couple of classes (like I said, I've always had a full time job!) and I'm really excited.

My dear, dear husband supports and encourages this decision and my heart swells even more for him. It's been particularly tough for us this year - he's not having a busy year and we scraped up what we could for our honeymoon to Europe. Yes, this means we have no savings. Yes, that sucks. Lucky for us I am a neurotic food hoarder and we have rice and pasta to last us for years. I've been making large meals and freezing portions - just last week we had an awesome homemade pizza with pesto sauce and lots of veggies entirely from the freezer!

So, my dear four readers, any suggestions, encouragement and warnings are welcome. I'm 26 and so ready to get on with my life.

No comments: