Friday, January 7, 2011

Tools of the Trade.

I read a lot of photography blogs and subscribe to a bunch of photography newsletters. There’s a theme I’ve noticed lately that seems to coincide nicely with the current economic state: it’s not about the equipment, it’s what you do with it. This especially resides with me; as a poor college kid trying to make a name for myself (let’s face it, I’m trying to earn a little $$) I don’t have the means to set up my spare room (the “office”) up as a full blown photography studio. I can’t spend money on lights, sets or even lenses.

It gets me down sometimes, but then I see photos from people that do have that stuff and think “well, that’s not very good”. Not to toot my own horn, but I think that I’ve come a long way without the fancy flashes and super extra long zoom lenses. Not that I wouldn’t mind that stuff, of course.

Today, I worked on a project for my cousin. I shot some photos of a product for a website he’s building. This hasn’t been the easiest assignment, I will admit. I built a light box but my lights weren’t enough to light up the inside. I shot photos on the balcony in below freezing weather, but I wasn’t happy with the results. Thus, I reveal my set up:

Probably a fire hazard, but it accomplished what the light box and THE SUN could not.

No comments: