Thursday, November 5, 2009

African Peanut Stew

Yesterday, before I left for my ridiculously dumb shift of 2-5, my husband asked if we could have some kind of stew for dinner. Now, I was intrigued. When he mentioned it, I didn't automatically feel nauseous like I usually do when soup-like substances are brought up. I have not been feeling well, and the thought of something rich and spicy just sounded GOOD.

So, while at work on my ridiculous shift, I perused recipezaar, which is my go-to when I have an idea but don't really know where to go with it. I was rewarded with African Peanut Stew.

Here is my very modified version of this recipe, which I cut into half and substituted things for things. I actually forgot to add the lime juice and peanuts at the end due to hunger, but this was SO FREAKING GOOD, it didn't matter.

African Peanut Stew (courtesy of recipezaar)
2 servings and a couple leftovers.

1 tbsp canola oil
1 small onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
1 tbsp curry powder
1 14oz can diced tomatoes with juice
2 cups vegetable broth
1/3 cup peanut butter (told you I was craving rich.....)
pepper
1/2 of a kabocha squash, cut into large chunks
1 sweet potato, cut into 1 inch chunks
1 carrot, cut into 1/2 inch chunks
1 cup fresh green beans (frozen, no thanks)
3 cups kale
juice of 1 lime
chopped peanuts

Heat the oil in a large, heavy stockpot. Add the onion, garlic, jalapeno, and ginger, and cook over moderate heat, stirring frequently, until the onion is lightly browned, about 6 minutes. Add the curry powder and cook, stirring, until fragrant and lightly toasted, about 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes, scraping up any bits stuck to the bottom of the pan. Whisk in the broth and peanut butter, season with pepper to taste, and bring to a boil. Cook over moderately high heat for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the kabocha chunks and cook for another 5 minutes.

Add the sweet potatoes and carrots, cover partially and cook over moderately low heat until the vegetables are just tender, about 20 minutes. Add the green beans, cover partially and cook until all the vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes longer. Add the kale and juice of 1 lime, and cook for 10 more minutes.

Transfer to deep bowls and serve hot. Garnish with lime wedges and chopped peanuts at the table.

Now, the original recipe calls for 3 cups chickpeas and okra. I have been eating so many beans lately that I just didn't want them in the stew and kabocha was an awesome substitution. Okra....I didn't really put in an effort to get some. I do believe I'm on the right track to enjoying soup again!

Doesn't it look rich and inviting?

No comments: