Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Cookbook Challenge Week 4 - Yellow Rose Recipes

This week's challenge was a fun one. I love Joanna's book and my husband's favorite gravy is her bechamel sauce. I also found the sloppy Joannas rock my little vegan world. On to the recipes!

#1 - Roasted Garlic Mashed PotatoesYum, yum and yum! That's all I have to say. As you will find out in the final recipe, our house is a potato-phile house. Mashed potatoes, oven fries, roasted potatoes...all of the above please! I made these with the caramelized onion variation and it boosted the awesomeness.

#2 - Cajun Spiced Tofu
Now, I absolutely admit to not having onion and garlic powder on hand. I just would rather have the fresh stuff, ya know? The tofu was spicy but bland to me....and I'm pretty sure it's because of the lack of those two spices. I'll just have to acquire some and try it again!

#3 - Twice Baked Stuffed Potatoes
That picture does not do these babies justice. I had to admit to the PPK that this was the first time I'd made baked potatoes. My mom used to make them for us but that's the last time I remember ever having homemade baked potatoes. Well, never again! These were so good I overstuffed myself. Ok, so that's not a hard thing to do, but trust me on the tasty.

This week we're exploring Eat, Drink and Be Vegan by Dreena Burton. I don't have the book but enough recipes are online for me to participate in the challenge. I had checked the book out once before from the library and made some very sad crepes with celestial cream:
I'm pretty sure I was too lazy to mix the cream in the blender and the crepes didn't cook long enough so instead of folding they kinda broke around the bends. Oh well, I'm a pro now, right? RIGHT?

This week is also a fantastic one for me - I finally start school for good! Save for this first quarter in which I pay out of pocket due to my chronic procrastination illness, I'll be a full time student for the first time since high school. I can't word just how excited I am about this. I think my getting laid off was truly a good kick in the rear. I have wanted to get into publishing/editing and I now have the opportunity to do it. Wish me luck dear readers!

1 comment:

vegan.in.brighton said...

Ooooh I cannot wait for my copy of yellow rose recipes to get here, I ordered it about a week ago from Herbivore so I think I've got a couple of weeks to wait!

That baked potato looks amazing and as a garlic lover I'm looking forward to trying her garlic mash recipe.