Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Cookbook Challenge Week 5 - Eat, Drink & Be Vegan. Also, Vegan MoFo!!!

This week we explored Dreena Burton's Eat, Drink and Be Vegan. Like I mentioned in my last post, I had tried the book before, but I had only made one recipe and it didn't turn out well. This time went a lot smoother.

#1 - Peanut Passion Sauce
You can't really see the sauce, but this is how I served it. I am a sucker for peanut sauce and I found this one to be the best I've tried! It's not overwhelmingly nutty or sweet, like some can be, and the noodles just soak it right up. This is a new staple in our house!!!

#2 & #3 - Moroccan Phyllo Rolls with Balsamic Maple Sauce
This is actually a picture of the leftovers I had the day after making this. This was truly a wonderful dish, full of sweet and savory and veggie goodness. The sauce was also very good and I hope to use it in other dishes. I did get frustrated with the time it took me to make this - it looks as if it would take maybe an hour to make but it took me 2! This was my first time working with phyllo and I found that my tiny kitchen is really not set up for it....which only contributed to the frustration.

This week the PPK'rs are cooking out of Vegan Planet. Unfortunately an unforeseen car repair came up that absolutely needs taken care of, so we're basically living out of our cupboards right now. I absolutely plan on jumping back in soon!

And lastly, this October is the 3rd Vegan Month of Food! Over 320 bloggers plan to write at least every weekday for the month of October and I'm jumping in with them this year. I plan to post a list of the best/worst food spots in Portland, how I feed a diabetic (and got his A1C levels under control!) dishes we made to survive the wild snowstorm of 2008....whatever I can think of to fulfill the requirement! This will definitely be a good writing exercise for me, and I can't wait to start.

No comments: