Saturday, December 31, 2011

So long, 2011!

 This year has been one of ups and a few downs.

I know that sounds a wee bit cliche, but it's totally true. Let's start with the ups, simply because there are more things about this year that were great.

In January, I made it my goal to become serious about running. Running has been the bane of my existence since I was born. It's not that I was out of shape or incredibly overweight, though. I grew up on the back of a horse, which is a workout on its own, but it didn't afford me the time or motivation to run. In high school, I ran something like 20 minute miles. Can you even call that running?
(in the gray, I look like this all the time while running) 

So, I signed up for a bunch of races after completing a 5k in October 2010. Every single one of those races proved to me that I COULD run, after all. I ran a total of 9 races (one of those a pure fundraising effort, but it counts!). 9! My longest distance is a 10k, my fastest mile was the first mile of Pints to Pasta, my fastest race was the Hot Buttered Run. Each race had their own awesome attributes and I plan to run a couple of them (if not all!) again this year.
 
 A fellow runner at the Run Like Hell. Yeah, he beat me wearing that suit!

So, in 2012, I will be running my first half marathon on May 20th. I am excited and scared and worried. If you came from my background, you would be feeling all those feelings too.

In 2011, Jeff and I also made our return to Europe, approximately a billion years before I thought it would happen again. And it was glorious, my friends. In Belgium alone we tried 20 different beers. In three days. I don't think we even tried to keep count in Germany, but it was also fantastically full of beer. We met some fantastic people, ate delicious food and had such a wonderful time, I can't wait to go back.
(multiply this photo by a million, you have our beer tour)

And, in 2012, we're planning on going back! We'll be starting in Norway and working our way through Scotland, London and Ireland. My sweet friend Nicole wants to be in London on her birthday, so we will happen to be in Europe on our wedding anniversary. What an excellent way to spend it, in my opinion.

As for the bad, well, they're not that bad. We struggled with money more times that I like to admit, but so does everyone. I got laid off (AGAIN) but then I found another job, working in a vet rehab clinic, surrounded by beautiful animals and great people. I struggled with my weight, but it's my own doing as I drink beer like it's water and can't lay off the cookies.

Let's make 2012 a great one, shall we?

2 comments:

Caity said...

Oh my gosh that first picture is awesome. <3

I give you so much credit. You are so awesome for training for these races and participating in them. It must be such an adrenaline rush and I know that you will continue to reach your running goals. :D

Karla said...

so jealous of more of your world travels! if you ever want to chat about Ireland and Scotland, let me know. I always love showing pictures of my travels abroad and chatting with people about traveling. I wasn't vegan then (just vegetarian), so I'm not very informative when it comes to food. It was pretty easy to be vegetarian.