Sunday, September 21, 2014

An Obsession with Isa Does It


Have you tried out Isa's newest book yet?

I bought Isa Does It on a whim when I probably should have been saving money and I am so glad I did. Not only is it full of reliably delicious recipes, they are all fast and easy and budget friendly.

My goal as of late has been to cook one new recipe out of IDI at least once a week and so far, so good. Yesterday I made the Coconut Channa Saag. I've actually had all the ingredients kicking around for a couple weeks now (even coconut milk, which I never have) and decided to whip it up for a couple of work meals after being gifted with a slew of garden-fresh tomatoes. The chickpeas are cooked perfectly, the broth is rich and flavorful, and it made a ton. My kind of food.


The first and last time I made seitan the somewhat old fashioned way (by simmering), I ended up with a pile of brain-like material. I've stuck to steamed and baked seitan since. Well, until today! After a marathon cleaning session, I decided to try out the Simmered Seitan in IDI. Despite my burner only wanting to work about 50% of the time, the recipe was a success! I pan-fried a couple pieces and threw 'em on a sandwich with veganaise, greens, and a fresh tomato.

4 comments:

vegan.in.brighton said...

Oh yay, I love IDI too! I also haven't had great results with simmered seitan, I always just steam it but I might have to give that recipe a whirl now!

Anonymous said...

This is one of my favourite books ever. I haven't made this recipe yet (I don't think) and I still have to make those kofta!

Panda With Cookie said...

huzzah for good seitan!

Plates For Plants said...

I’ve nominated you for a Liebster Award! Check it out :D http://www.platesforplants.com/blog/liebster-award/