Friday, November 12, 2010

Survey Says!

I'm going to be running all day and not have access to blogging stuffs until super late, so today I bring a survey. Tomorrow samosa pie!

What's your favorite spice or spice blend?
I love me some ginger.


You have $20 to spend on fresh groceries and produce for the whole week (with a fairly well stocked pantry of dry goods, legumes, grains, and spices). what do you buy?
Broccoli, potatoes (regular and sweet) some kind of winter squash, kale, onions and garlic.


What's your favorite way to make tofu?
Dry fry ala Vegan Yum Yum, add delicious sauce.


Vegan guilty pleasure?
A tie between Oreos and the Mahalo bar.


If you could make anyone vegan, who would it be?
This is a hard question, I don't wish anyone to be vegan when it's not their choice. Buuuuut, for the sake of the survey, I will say my friend Sarah, she's a proud vegetable hater and hunter.

If you could only read one other vegan blog, what would it be?
Oh man. Oh boy. Peas and Thank You.

Were you always interested in cooking, or did veganism change the way you saw and interacted with food?
I cooked before I went vegan, but it was always quick things like couscous and oatmeal. Losing my job shortly after going vegan forced me to learn the ways of the kitchen.

Excluding analogues, what new things have you tried that you probably wouldn't have as an omni?
Leeks, kale, collards, nutritional yeast.

What is the one vegan staple that everyone seems to love, but you can't get behind?


What was your first "wow, I'm such a stereotypical vegan" moment?
Some ladies were discussing the "weird things on the stalk" at a CSA pickup and I said, "oh, those are Brussel sprouts! You should totally try roasting them."


First recipe you veganized?
Ha! An oatmeal cookie pie thingy - it went very badly.


What would you like to veganize, but haven't yet?
My aunt makes a killer blackberry sour cream pie.


Favorite kitchen utensil/appliance?
My favorite knife!


Most disastrous kitchen failure?
Some mini broccoli calzones that were not good. Not good at all.

First vegan cookbook?
Veganomicon!


What question about being vegan do you HATE answering?
What do you eat?


If you could tell the world one thing about vegans, what would it be?
Some of us are not the activist type.


Funniest vegetable?
Eggplant because it's also known as a aubergine, which sounds way funner.


What is a family recipe you have veganized?
My mom's peachy porkchops, using seitan. Grease ball city.


Weirdest food combination?
Hummus, roasted eggplant and roasted squash.


Is there something you wish you could veganize, but can't/couldn't?
My mom used to work at bar that had a "spotted owl" burger with a chicken patty and swiss cheese. Vegan cheese just doesn't translate well.


Favorite ways to prepare tofu, seitan, tempeh, any other vegan proteins?
Tofu, see above. Seitan is most delicious in cheezesteak form and tempeh goes well in shepherd's pie.


Are your pets vegan? if so, what do you feed them? tell us about having vegan furbabies!
My cats are not vegan.


Favorite non-dairy milk?
Unsweetened almond milk for everything but drinking, chocolate soymilk for drinking.


What’s one “vegan myth” you’d like to squash? 
We do, in fact, get enough protein. I'm willing to bet I get more than I should.

No comments: