Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Carnival Squash Risotto

My mission:

Use these lovely vegetables up this week! This last time I participated in Weight Watchers, I had the best leader. She was always pushing farmers markets and whole foods eating. One time during a meeting, one woman exclaimed how expensive it would be to subside solely on a diet that revolves around fruits and vegetables.

Really? I mean, I can get 5 bananas across the street for 90 cents. Yukon Golds for 88 cents a pound. And that lovely carnival squash pictured up front for 99 cents each.

My goal this week was a series on squash. Today I focus on last night's dinner, Carnival Squash Risotto. My recipe is adapted from the basic risotto recipe from 125 Best Vegan Recipes by Maxine Effenson Chuck and Beth Gurney. It's simple and just waiting for squash to join the risotto party. Total cooking time is around 45 minutes.

Carnival Squash Risotto - 4-6 Servings

3.5 cups vegetable stock
1 tbsp olive oil
1 shallot, diced
1 cup Arborio rice
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp each of dried basil & oregano
1 roasted carnival squash (method to follow)
basil leaves (optional)
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Split the squash in half and scoop out the loose flesh and seeds. Rinse seeds in strainer and set aside. Spray squash with cooking spray and place open side up on baking sheet with parchment. Toss seeds with salt and spread out on parchment. Roast squash for 40 minutes, removing the seeds halfway through.

In a pot, heat stock over low heat and keep warm.

In a heavy pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add shallots and cook until softened. Add rice and stir until rice is coated in olive oil and heated through. Add garlic, basil, oregano and 1 cup stock. Cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add stock 1/2 cup at a time until mostly absorbed. When stock is mostly absorbed, scoop roasted squash into pot and stir until stock is completely absorbed.

Top with basil leaves and roasted seeds and enjoy! I've included a small pictorial for your viewing pleasure.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh man, I have a carnival squash that needs to be used before I leave for vacation this weekend. I'm making this tomorrow!